Thursday, December 1, 2016

Happy Holidays VS Merry Christmas

I won't say that I'm not easily offended.  Fat jokes offend me, and entitled men offend me, and our whole political system offends me but...



If you wish me a Happy Holidays I'm totally NOT going to be offended.  Not at all.  Not even a little bit.

See, I am aware that while Christmas is the most celebrated holiday around these parts, but I'm also aware that its not the ONLY holiday celebrated.

Now, if I were a better blogger I'd go looking for all the holidays and all the people who celebrate them, and post statistics and stuff.

I'll just settle for saying that in my store alone I have spoken to several customers who are not celebrating Christmas.  One that I'm aware of was shopping for Yule decorations.  And many, many, many of them are Jewish so, no Christmas for them either.



And, while I am celebrating Christmas you know what else doesn't offend me?

If someone, who does not celebrate Christmas, wishes me a happy, merry, joyous whatever it is that they DO celebrate.

Saying Happy Holidays is NOT a War on Christmas.  While saying Merry Christmas is very exclusive.

Now, I'm not saying everyone should say Happy Holidays instead.



No, what I think is that people should be able to say whatever they want.  If someone tells you Happy Chaunaka they are not attacking you.  They are asking you to be HAPPY for crying out loud.  And instead of getting all defensive you should totally wish them a Merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate) right back.

Because this time of year is supposed to be all about GOOD TIDINGS and it has turned into a bickering free for all.

I'm pretty sure that misses the whole point for most of the celebrations of the season.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, people should feel free to say what they want. I will be saying "Merry Christmas". As Christmas is much more to me than exchanging presents and seeing family. It is the date I celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. I do realize not everyone does that. I won't be offended if they say something else. I don't get mad. I generally say Thank you, you too. If they mention something different first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...