Friday, July 1, 2016

My Blogging, Blogging in General, & the Ultimate Blog Challenge


Today kicks off day one of the current Ultimate Blog Challenge.  And since my own blog has pretty much turned into a stagnant pond of nothingness I thought I'd jump in and stir up the waters.  (and in the process try WAY to hard to find a metaphor)

The UBC is about getting into a habit of blogging, and meeting other bloggers along the way.  Whats not to love!

Once upon a time I LOVED to blog.  I did it for fun, as an extension of my personal paper journal.  My first ever blog was on Xanga.  I've also had blogs at Livejournal, and a few blog hosts that don't exist any more.  Mostly I stick with Blogger these days.  I'm comfortable with them.

However...

I've neglected my personal blogger blog as I was trying to earn money.  I started blogging at PPV sites like Bubblews and BlogJob.  I did earn a few pennies along the way, but as each of the sites went belly up, I began to lose my lust for the act of blogging.

Along the way I had developed a taste for earning pennies for my posting.  And no matter how hard I try I can't make my personal blog make money.

Because I'm not a niche blogger. I blog all over the place.  And on top of that it is a PERSONAL blog.  I mean, most of the world doesn't care what I had for breakfast (sausage and toast) or what I did after work (Grilled brats and blew bubbles with my 2 year old.)

I can't even really call myself a LIFESTYLE blog.  I'm not a fashion guru.  I'm a horrible cook.  I don't know how to apply makeup.  I have nothing going for me.

Well, I'm a mom, but not a mommy blogger because as parents go I'm not the worlds greatest mom.  I'm barely the worlds okayest mom.

If my son's ever buy me this mug, I'll accept it with pride and drink
mediocre coffee out of it, please that I managed to keep them alive
and that's okay.


So, no, I'm never going to make millions (or hundreds, or tens) of dollars blogging but...

I used to have so much fun with it.  At the end of the day I'd sit down and I'd write about my day.  And... and this is the amazing part... people would READ about my day, and COMMENT about my day.

It was awesome.

So, this month I'm going to try to put the fun back into blogging for myself.

If that means blogging about the classic movie my kid just watched for the first time (Harry and the Henderson's BTW) and not thinking twice about SEO, then so be it.

Because I work a full time job to pay the bills, if my blog hasn't earned money in this many years it probably never will but maybe, just maybe, I'll find my own voice again, remember how much I used to love the simple act of writing, and pick up a few new friends along the way!

18 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel. Good luck with everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's going to be fun to just have fun for a change.

      Delete
  2. Hope the challenge be will bring the fun back for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope so too. I miss the enjoyment of writing that I used to have.

      Delete
  3. It is not always about the money. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something I need to keep in mind so I'll stop trying to monetize all my hobbies and turning them into "jobs."

      Delete
  4. I certainly love your voice from what I see in this blog. Glad you got it back and I look forward to reading more:) Good luck with the UBC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you like my voice and look forward to seeing you around!

      Delete
  5. When I started blogging I didn't have a clue what to do I also don't have a niche bit I use my blog as a way to just relax (enev though some of my blogs tend to ramble on and on) I have made a few pennies here and there for sponsored posts but I Jist enjoy writing. Good look on the UBC, this will be my 3rd time at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started blogging, blogging was different than it is now. Pretty much everyone wrote personal blogs, and now EVERYTHING is about maketing. I miss the good old days when I got to know people and make friends though blogs.

      There is a different feel when people just like to write!

      Thanks for blogging about the UBC and convincing me to give it a try.

      Delete
  6. I find this a very inspiring piece of writing! You remind us that not everything is about money and often we can have the most fun when we are simply being ourselves. SEO be damned - just write something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiring? That was unexpected. I'm glad it inspired you.

      Delete
  7. I really found your blog post for today refereshing and inspiring! Thank you! My blog is in a particular niche and I like that you don’t limit yourself. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I just can't stick to a niche. Even a niche that I care a lot about I can't find the inspiration to write about just one thing forever and ever.

      Delete
  8. I started just like you and lost myself just like you with the closing of the paying sites, I am also challenging myself and I have started writing again, about my life and not for money. Plus I just read that the Examiner is closing! So there will be more of us daily love life bloggers. BTW I loved Harry and the Henderson`s when I seen it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading your blogs. They have the personal voice that I have always enjoyed. Like what blogs USED to be when I first started many years ago.

      Delete
  9. I think we've crossed paths on some of those dead or dying sites. I think BlogJob is still around unless it died yesterday. It just doesn't offer any pennies anymore. Aren't you on myLot to still collect a few pennies? I did get a welcome deposit from HubPages last month, so all is not dead, but I don't trust third party sites anymore. I'd like to go back to blogging without thinking about SEO and making money, but I've invested in learning how to make bucks instead of pennies, so I won't quit now. I wish you you the joy you seek in forgetting the money and blogging for love of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogjob is still just dying. Or, its a blog site, but not a paying blog site anymore, and if Im going to blog for free I'm more comfortable with blogger.

      I am still on mylot but not as active as I need to be. I'm literally earning pennies a month there.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...