Monday, July 18, 2016

Ghostbusters (2016) Review

There has been a lot of talk about the newest incarnation of Ghostbusters (2016) since it was first announced.

People were horrified at the idea of a remake/reboot instead of another sequel (despite the fact that fanboys wet themselves with joy every time Batman or Superman is rebooted).  People were even more horrified at the idea of an all female cast.  (BC OMG! WYMENZ! WE CAN'T NOT LET THE WYMENS HAZ THE MOVYZ!!)

It has also not been very well reviewed.  That last review I read said good thing about the actresses, but bad things about the plot, saying it drug on and the only good parts were rehashes of the first two movies.

Despite the bad reviews I was EXCITED to go see this movie.  Maybe its because the threat of our next president bringing misogyny to a whole new level, but I was waving my "Girl Power" flag going into this one.

(no, I don't really have a girl power flag.)

Coming out I have to say I LOVED this movie.  The whole thing, from beginning to end.  What's not to love about a movie that makes both brainy and blue collar seem equally awesome!  (Too bad it was missing out on a little rich and powerful ya know what I mean?)

Maybe its because I've not seen the original Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters II since the early 90s and I don't really remember anything about them.  Maybe its because MY Ghostbusters was The Real Ghostbusters animated series and I'm not a movie purist.

Or maybe it was because this was just a good fun movie and the fans and anti-fans are trying too hard to find something wrong with it.

(I'm going with that last one.)

Synopsis 


This movie is about Erin (Kristen Wiig) who is up for tenure at the college she works for.  Only her serious scientific job in is danger because a book on the paranormal she co-wrote has come back to light.

Afraid for her job she goes to see the books co-author Abby (Melissa McCarthy) to try to get the book removed from the shelves again.  Instead she finds herself following Abby and her new partner Holtzmann (Kate McKinnon) as the come face to face with a real life ghost!

Suddenly Erin finds herself turning into a ghost hunter, and along the way Patty (Leslie Jones) and Kevin (Chris Hemsworth) are added to the team.  Together they find out that the sudden appearance of high level apparitions is no accident, and the whole wold (starting with New York, of course) are in grave danger (pun intended.)

While critics have torn into Kevin (too stupid) and Patty (stereotypical urban and therefore racist) and just accused the rest of them of being bad actors, I loved every second of it.

And despite Kevin being there for eye-candy my favorite character, by far, was Holtzmann.  I'm pretty sure I have a girl-crush on her now.






I mean seriously, how can you not just love her! 


 (Holtzman gush-fest over now, thank you.)

And for those of you who just don't think its Ghostbusters if the original 4 are not in it...you do get to see several of the old cast members appear in cameos throughout the whole movie.

Bill Murry, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts and Sigourney Weaver all pop up for your viewing pleasure even if they didn't reprise their original roles.

Plus, if you stick it out thorough the end credits (which isn't hard to do as you watch Chris Hemsworth shake what his mama gave him) then you'll get a nifty after-credit as well.  And who doesn't love a good after-credit?

So, Noner Says go see this movie!

And Holtzmann says "Just try saying no to these salty parabolas!"


2 comments:

  1. Great review, my son loved the other movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see this movie. It looks funny. I am glad they went with women instead of younger versions of the original actors. Sorry but I find it hard to believe any actor could replace Bill Murray and his comical side. He has a certain flair you don't see nowadays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...