Saturday, July 2, 2016

Adulting on a Holiday Weekend

While all my blogging and social network friends across the US are excited for this weekend (and celebrating Independence day by getting as drunk as possible for as long as possible over a 3 day weekend) I am putting on my big girl panties and my oh-so-fashionable company polo as I prepare to go to work.

I mentioned yesterday that I work a full time job to pay the bills and there are times that I feel like I never get to be at home.  I'm wondering if it would be worth it just to toss a tent up behind the store and live on site.

Today as I gear up to work harder than usual this weekend (Holiday weekends are always busier than the norm) I was toying around with the idea of stepping down out of my current position and going part time before I burn out completely.  (Those who have followed me for some time know that I'm pretty much walking a tightrope the size of a strand of spider webbing when it comes to my mental stability at this point.)  Then my husband dropped a bombshell on me.

His job has only given him two days to work this week.

I am the "Breadwinner" of this family.  I work full time and my husband works part time and it has been that way for over 6 years.

Well, that's just not any fun.

Too bad Adulting can't be more fun.  I miss gold stars and nap time.
I would be lying if I said I was not jealous of my husband.  As I'm putting in 40 hours a week, he's putting in 25 (or less).  As I'm only seeing my children an average of 4 hours a day he's getting to do all the fun stuff with them.

So, as I leave my home at lunch time today, not to see it again until bed time tonight, I'm trying to be grateful.  I mean, its good that I have a full time job and that we can pay the bills and feed the family.  Its a wonderful thing to have a roof over our heads and central cooling in this hot and humid weather.  I'm blessed to have been with the same company for almost 11 years now.

But knowing that my husband will be watching movies and playing video games with my kids all day today (and tomorrow, and the next day and the day after that) while I'm out there doing all the adulting... Yeah, it makes me a little sad.

Too bad Adulting can't be more fun.  I miss gold stars and nap time.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a snippet of your life today. Since my wife and I have never been in that situation, it's a little difficult to personally relate. But our son is a full time dad while is wife is a Dr. in a family practice residency. I will say, he has fun, but it's big job. Honestly I don't think I could be a full time care giver to children. So, maybe your husband's job is a little harder than you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's not a stay at home dad in the usual sense. He really does just get to watch movies and have fun with the kids. I get to work 9 hours, come home, wash dishes, do laundry, bathe kids and get them to bed, then do the rest of the housework before I go to bed and get up do to it all again in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Life as an entrepreneur! The same thing happens in my business. It seems I am always working. 3-day weekends tend to be similar - my wife will as I I am taking the day off and I generally have things that need to get done.

    I am working on the balance so I can take part in family activities, but it is hard since I do not want to get behind!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I only wish I were putting all this time and effort into my own business. I work for a big corporate chain. My time away from my family only helps to line the pockets of a CEO who makes more in one day than I make in a year.

      Delete
  3. Many of us will be working as well this weekend - no holiday weekends when adulting ... ! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy the adults who do have the kind of adulting where they have holiday weekends. I'd settle for a normal weekend!

      Delete
  4. If it makes you feel any better, I'll be working also. I worked today, covering 7 cornices and tomorrow or Monday I need to finish the backing on them. No rest for the wicked! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it grand!

      I worked nearly 9 hours then came home to a filthy kitchen. I've still not had supper and I'm trying to decide whether a bath or a meal is more important.

      Delete
  5. I am the bread winner here to and I work more than one job to make ends meet, seems like when one is light the other one overwhelms me, or maybe its that I actually have three jobs now, writing was four but that went down the drain.

    I do know exactly how you feel about the housework and cooking. I got smart and I told the live in sick man that he needs to clean up after himself because when I get down he is on his own, I am close to burn out because I do everything, I mean everything!

    Today I made the comment " isn`t it nice to always have drawers full of clean clothes?"

    I am against paper plates and the like but I HAD to buy them, I am to ( put in cuss word) to keep washing dishes before I can even eat a meal.

    BUT I also will say I am grateful to have all this work, what don't break me down prepares me for more to come :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...