Thursday, June 23, 2016

Plans for my 35th Year

Yesterday (June 22) was my birthday!


I'm not one of those women who feel like I have to hide my age.  I've worked hard to live this long and I just turned 35.

"I know you like the young girls," I told my husband (who is 15 years older than me.)  "Do you still love me now that I'm an old woman?"

"You're not old." my husband assured me. "You're middle aged."

Somehow that didn't make me feel any better.

The day itself was laid back.  My mother in law and I took the boys to the park to play in their sprinkler.  After lunch there was cake and ice cream at my mother in laws house, and I got my gifts.  (My husband got me Krampus.  My mother in law got me a Walking Dead t-shirt)

Later there was supper from Carey Hilliards.  Takeout because I didn't feel up to taking the boys out to eat.  They both eat supper fast, then we spend the rest of our meal trying to pacify them.

PERSONAL NEW YEAR


I've often thought of birthdays as personal new years.  Just like people make resolutions on January 1st, I might "resolve" myself things to do until my next birthday.

Some people get all brave and make bucket lists like "35 Things to do in my 35th year"

I am not that ambitious.

I have been thinking of what to do with my life this year (and forever after.)

Some time ago I had declared that I'd have my own business by the time I turned 35.  So...I'm basically a life plan failure at this point.

So, I need to put some baby steps into motion.

YEAR OF THE PURGE


I have decided this is going to be the year of The Purge.

http://amzn.to/28Q7qiX

No, not that Purge!  (That would be scary and wrong.)

I walk into my over crowded bedroom and I feel like I'm turning into a hoarder.  Too much stuff.  Too much stuff everywhere.

So, I need to re-read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, then apply it.  The premise being you only keep things around that you love.

So, for example, I need to ditch the magazines I've been holding on to for collaging, but haven't touched in years.

I also need to purge some of my craft supplies.  I need to USE some of the beads I have to make jewelry to sell.  Some things I need to de-stash because I'll never use them.  I have lots of paper that needs to be bound into books (using the book binding machine I bought but never used!) and sold. 

So, if you fancy a bracelet or a junk journal, keep your eyes peeled!

THE YEAR I BEAT DEPRESSION


If any of you have followed me here or on facebook for any length of time then you know I struggle with depression.  I've dealt with it for well over 15 years, all without medication.

The past couple of years its getting worse instead of better so I need to start doing some research on how to kick this monster out of my brain without medication (that I can't afford.)

In fact my new boss (who has been made aware of my struggle) is making noises to the effect of  "I didn't come here to get rid of anybody, but you could lose your job if you don't smile more."

I don't know HOW I'm going to do this yet, but I'm determined.  So, research here we come.

Which brings me to the next part.

A YEAR OF LEARNING



This year I would like to read more non-fiction books.

From January to June I have read 29 books. Only one of them was non-fiction. (Living With Intent)

So, I need to find more non-fiction books to read on subjects that don't bore me to tears.

I also like the idea of trying to find some (free) online classes to take.  Again, if I can find a subject that interests me.

So, if you have any book recommendations or know of any (free) online classes that might interest me, drop me a comment and let me know!

4 comments:

  1. When it comes to smiling for your job...fake it. I use to fake smiling all the time when I worked at the job center. I know easier said than done. It took me practicing smiling in the mirror. Even though I didn't feel feel like or wanted to smile. To be able to do it. Depression is hard to deal and live with. I deal with it on a daily bases to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half the time I don't even realize I'm NOT smiling until someone asks me "Whats wrong." Whenever I'm talking to a customer I thow on a big smile whether I feel it or not, but he wants me to smile all the freaking time. Even for the co-workers.

      Delete
  2. It is hard, but do smile. As a fringe benefit beyond keeping your job, some studies suggest that if you smile it triggers more happiness (less depression) in your brain. And it is free. Noner, if we have to we will send you corny jokes to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My customers always get a smile. But apprantly I'm supposed to grin like the Chershire cat even when I'm not face to face with a customer.

      I've read a lot of "fake it till you make it" articles, but I've also seen ones in the past that say being forced to smile when you're depressed can actually make the depression worse.

      I guess it has to do with each persons individuality.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...