Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Dream of Homesteading

Just lately I've been hankering for a more simple life.

Its no secret that I long to be a stay at home mom.  Or even a work at home mom.  But I'm very far away from that currently, as I work a full time job.

I spend more time out of my home than in it, and its very sad.

My house is a mess. I don't like to clean because I have so little time here I don't want to waste it by cleaning.  Not to mention the other little tasks like cleaning and organizing my book shelves and craft supplies.

I don't get to spend enough time with my kids.  I get to spend about an hour with them in the morning, while getting the oldest one ready for school, and 2 hours with them at night, while doing homework, giving baths, and putting them to bed.

I want more time at home, with my family.  I want less stress from struggling to keep a job just to pay bills.

Just lately I've been thinking a lot about homesteading.

I think it would be heaven to get a little land (it doesn't have to be much.  A couple of acres). I would love to have a home built for our family on that land, and to live a little simpler.

Or, find some land with a house like this one already on it, and work on fixing it up!

 I would like to start a garden.  I would like to learn how to can foods and store them.

I would like to own some chickens, maybe raise a hog or two for food.

Therein lies one of the problems.  My husband cringes at the idea of raising an animal for food.  He would be fine having chickens, but not eating them.  He doesn't really eat pork at all, so that would be just for me.

BUT....

I'm a country girl.  I grew up in the middle of nowhere, with dirt roads and sunshine.  Our nearest neihbor wasn't miles away (Were in fact just down the hill from us) but you also couldn't reach out your bedroom window and touch the side of their house, like you can now.

My husband is a city boy.  I long for trees, and he can't imagine living an hour away from the nearest movie theater.

Now, I our family to try our hands at homesteading, but its not like I'm asking him to go completely off the grid.

I mean, I like electricity and indoor plumbing!  I want my computer and internet access.  He could keep his TV and cable and obscenely large DVD collection.

Not that it really matters, because we can't afford for me to stop working, and we can't afford to buy land, and we can't afford to build a house.


Thank goodness for the internet, so that I can live vicariously through youtube and bloggers.

3 comments:

  1. Keep dreaming it... it may happen. I'm pretty sure you could find a balance for city boy and country girl. I'll be watching for the blog posts about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I'm not sure what sort of work you do, but have you thought of contracting instead of being a permanent employee? I find the rates are little higher and it gives me the freedom to take some time off to spend with my daughter in between jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh. Well, I'm a retail wage slave. No such thing as contract work for me. Its hitting a time clock for 9 hours a day 5 days a week, or else I don't get paid.

      Even worse, its right through the thick of the day. I'm out of my house no later than 9:30 am and not back in it until usually after 7. I hardly get to see this house I'm working so hard for.

      To be able to sustain ourselves enough for me to work part time and get to spend more time at home...or even better to be able to quit and be a full time mom. That would make me the happiest person in the world.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...