Monday, April 13, 2015

I long for ADVENTURE

Somewhere deep Inside of me there is a girl who is free spirited and ADVENTUROUS.

Unfortunately the part of my closer to the surface is rather like a hobbit.

What does that mean?  Well, lets look at this snippit of conversation between Gandalf and Bilbo that takes place in The Hobbit why don't we?

“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone.'

I should think so — in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
 See, its like this:

Whenever I read a really good novel, usually a coming of age novel, with a grand adventure and lots of excitement I get the urge to wander.  I want to travel, to explore, to be chased by killer sewer clowns.



Okay, maybe not the killer sewer clowns, but...adventure.

The young adult novels give me this longing the most.  Coming of age novels where the protaganist is helped through the adventure by his or her best friends or new friends.

As a child I spend most of my days alone.  I only saw my friends during school, and there were certainly no adventures invovled.

The idea of adventure makes me want to grab my whip and fedora and run out the door.

That is when my inner hobbit speaks up and tries to talk some sense into me.

Not just the "you have a job, two kids and a mortage" kind of sense, but the "you have social anxiety, you're afraid of the dark, and you get lost trying to find your way back tot he waiting room of your doctors office!" kind of sense.

There are people in the world who are meant for adventure.

Then there are people in the world, like myself, who are meant to read about adventure.

But that doesn't stop me from feeling adventurous from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I did enjoy this adventurous rambling! In my younger years I jumped at a new adventure but now I hesitate, wondering if I am up to the task of the unknown feelings and events that often come with an adventure. And yes, I'm a bit of a hermit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love adventure. I don't like doing it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love the adventure. Though I guess I am more into reading about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...