Friday, November 7, 2014

Homeschool Failure

With his constant companions, Miss Ball, Clifford, and two different sizes of blankie.
That young man up there is giving us a lot of trouble just lately.

He will be turning 5 years old in just a little over a week.  We chose not to send him to pre-k this year.

My husband refuses to send him to public school, and we sure as heck cant afford to send him to private school.  So my husband has decided we will home school him.  It is nothing something I agree with and is something we have talked about at length, but he seems to have won the battle.

So we are trying to teach him his letters.  He can sing the alphabet song, and count to 20 MOST of the time.  But he can't tell me the sounds that the letters make, and he gets confused sometimes if he has to tell me what they are out of order.

And drawing or writing his numbers and letters is also not going well.

We've only made it up to c, which he insists makes the sssss sound.  He can write the number 0 and the number 1, but can't do a 3.  He can write a halfway decent capital A, but after that he gets frustrated.  He refuses to cooperate.

Today he pitched a fit during school time which got him sent to his room.

Afterward I asked him why he doesn't want to try to write his letters.  He says he gets aggravated.

I explained to him that if he did not let Mommy and Daddy teach him how to read and write that he would have to go to "real" school next year.  He says he doesn't want to go to real school.

We'll have to see how that goes.

Meanwhile, if any homeschool moms have advice for us I will willing give you a listen!

2 comments:

  1. I remember when I was growing up homeschooled we used a program call "Sing, Spell, Read, and Write", which I really liked. I rushed through all the reading parts, and remember it came with a magnetic racetrack you got to drive your car forward on for each little book you read. And it had songs to help with learning too. My mom also bought a lot of the writing and early math workbooks and let me go through them and doodle as much as I wanted. And one of my brother and my favorite videos was call The Animal Alphabet, and we watched it way too often for my poor mom. It had a song and animal for each letter of the alphabet and helped reinforce the sounds too. I think if he gets frustrated with writing out letter getting the tracing practice pads might be good too. They usually carry those at teacher supply stores and I'm sure you can get them online now too. Good luck, I think some of the hardest parts of teaching are adjusting to each child's learning style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try making dot letters and having him trace the letters. You can also google it and it will tell you which letters are easiest for kids to learn. We taught troy to write his name first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...