Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Fish Happens

For many years I've been a keeper of the fish they call Betta.  My first every Betta was named Aplha.

Alpha lived a long Betta life.  So did the consecutive Bettas, none of the rest of whom were ever named after Greek letters.

When my last Betta died I couldn't decide whether or not to get another one.  After all I had the "real" aquarium now. I also had 2 kids, 2 dogs, the rat cage, the housework, the full time job.  Did I really need that ONE MORE chore on my to-do list?

So I just let my betta tank sit on the counter and dry out.  Then it sat there empty and stained for many months.

Today I took it down and dumped out the rocks and scrubbed the aquarium.  I had the rocks soaking to clean the accumulated gunk off of them and Parker spent much time playing in the tub of warm water and rocks. 

We were going to the pet store to get more stuff for the filter for the big aquarium, and I thought briefly about getting a Betta while we were in there.  Then I watched a bunch of "My First Betta" videos on youtube.  Then I decided that I didn't want another pet container to clean.

Then, when I grabbed the rat food out of the cabinet its kept in something fell out.

That something was the container of betta food I had bought the week my last Betta died.  He had died rather unexpectedly.  Swimming and flaring his gills threateningly at me one day, dead the next.

Anyway, I'm not usually one to see signs in things, but since I had been hemming and hawwing about getting another Betta, then the universe literally threw some Betta food at my feet I thought maybe I SHOULD get another one.

I asked Parker if he wanted to go to the pet store and pick out a fish and he said yes.

So when we went to the pet store I totally let him pick out the fish he wanted.  It wasn't my favorite, or my husbands, but it was the one he wanted and it looked as healthy as a pet store fish in a little jar can look, so its the one we got.

Oddly enough, the store was completely out of the fish filter stuff I needed, so I got a new fish, but not what the original purpose of the trip was for.

He came in a cup, and sat in the cup beside his new home while both of them became the same temperature.  Then tonight, just before hubby went to bed, I put him in his new home.


When I left the room he was contentedly swimming around checking the place out.  Down to the bottom.  Into a corner.  Between the plant fronts.  Resting briefly on the gargoyles nose before going back up to the top.

Now, Parker has not given the new fish a name.  I'll ask him again tomorrow, but Robert seems convinced that he's NOT going to give the new fish a name.  So it might fall on me to name the new fish.

In which case, suggestions are welcome.

ALL THE LITTLE THINGS
The small things that made me smile today.

1.  Having chicken soup in the cabinet when I needed it.
2.  Cuddles on the sofa from both of my boys.
3.  Getting a new fish.  Pets make me happy.
4.  My mother in law cooked supper, including fried egg plant.  SUPER yummy.
5.  A trip to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...