Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Velveeta Cheesy Potatoes A Product Review

I enjoy scalloped potatoes.  I enjoy Velveeta cheese.  I enjoy bacon.

When I was grocery shopping recnetly I looked for some scalloped potatoes, and was amazed to see a box I had never seen before.

Velveeta Cheesy Bacon Scalloped  Potatoes by Kraft.  Not only was it Scalloped potatoes, it was scalloped potatoes made with Velveeta cheese.  And it had bacon in it!

I died and went to  boxed potato product heaven.  Even though it was a little more pricey than the store brand one I usually get, it was on sale, so I decided to splurge on it.

Since I've long been a fan of other Kraft cheese products I had no doubt that it would be worth the few cents extra.



 INGREDIENTS AND EXTRAS

The Bacon Scalloped Velveeta Cheesy Potatoes by Kraft comes with almost everything you need to make the dish.

Inside the box is a bag of seasoned  dehydrated potato slices.  A squeeze pack of Velveeta cheese.  And a small packet of REAL bacon bits (with added smokey flavor)

At home you will only need 2 cups of (boiling) water and half a cup of milk.

COOKING DIRECTIONS

You can either cook Kraft Velveeta Cheesy Potatoes on the stovetop or in the oven.

I chose to cook mine in the oven, because it seemed the best choice since I didn't have to stir it occasionally like I would have on the stovetop.  That left my hands free to take care of my 5 month old son.

You have to preheat the oven to 450.  My oven takes forever to preheat.  So I set it to preheat, put 2 cups of water on to boil, then swept the entire house until my oven beeped.

You mix your seasoned potatoes and your water and milk in a (1.5 qt) baking dish.  You DO NOT add the bacon or the Velveety cheese at this time.

Then you place the dish in an oven to bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and the potatoes are soft.

After you take the scalloped potatoes out of the oven is when they become Velveeta Cheesy Bacon Scalloped potatoes.  This is the part where you add the cheese and bacon bits.

Stir them in, then let it sit for about 5 minutes, as the sauce thickens.


NUTRITION

This box makes 5 servings of 1/2 a cup.

They clock in at 200 calories a serving with 7 grams of fat and 24 grams of carbs.

Thats a Weight Watchers Winning Points Value of 4
or
A Weight Watchers Points Plus Value of 5

MY THOUGHTS

As far as dehydrated boxed potato products go, it was really good.

Like I said, I like Velveeta, so having the extra creamy cheese pack of Velveeta cheese was sure to make this dish taste amazing.

The bacon, however, was underwhelming.  Once mixed into the potatoes and sauce I could SEE the bacon bits but I couldn't really taste them. 

I would buy this product again if I caught it on sale again, because overall the taste is much better than the store brand of Scalloped potatoes I've been eating.

I would reccomend this dish to anyone who likes Cheesy potatoes, and especially if you like Velveeta products such as their Mac n Cheese.

I would not recommend this to a bacon lover because it leaves you going, "Where's the Bacon?"

If you're not a big fan of Scalloped potaotes, Kraft Velveeta has other flavors too!

Cheesy Mashed Potatoes.
Cheesy Aug Gratin Potatoes.
Cheesy Hash Browns.
Cheesy Southwest Diced Potatoes.  


**DISCLAIMER** This product review is 100% my own.  I purchased the product and was not provided a sample by any company.  I'm not being paid by Kraft or Velveeta.  I just like cheesy taters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...