Monday, September 16, 2013

Potty Training Woes

My son will be 4 in November and he still is not potty trained. His little brother will be born in November as well, and I was really hoping to have this potty training mess behind us before the new baby gets here.

I have been reading a lot of stuff about potty training, and talking to my son about it. I've been taking him to sit on the potty every so often, and he's been going into the bathroom and pretending to use the potty on his own, but not really using it. He also likes to flush the toilet when me or his dad go potty so I know he's not afraid of it.

Still, Instead of actually going in the potty he will pretend to use the potty, then IMMEDIATELY go to the living room or his bedroom and use the potty.

He's holding his pee for a LONG time, because I'm not putting him in a diaper and he KNOWS that he will be in trouble if he pees on the floor. So when he DOES pee on the floor its a big, huge mess.

I've been making him clean his own pee up but that doesn't seem to bother me. If I don't CATCH him peeing on the floor he'll pee on the floor the come tell me he needs a towel to clean it up with.

He will also tell ME that he is supposed to pee in the potty and not on the floor. He knows what he's supposed to do but will not do it.

I have gotten a lot of advice from a lot of different friends, and all of it is different. It just goes to show that every child is different.

I want to try a reward method with him. I want to give him a sticker to put on a potty chart and/or a special candy treat every time he uses the potty. But he has to USE the potty before I can reward him.

Its all very frustrating.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, sorry can't help. trying to potty train my 2 1/2 girl (everyone told me a girl is so easier than a boy.... NOT TRUE, her brother was clean at 2 1/2 except for nights)...

    She is like your son, she knows the potty, she can use it (she did a few time) but she just don't want to. So now when she does a number 2 in the diaper I let her "in it" a little bit and she is not happy lol. I tell her, next time go to the potty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...