Thursday, May 23, 2013

Trying to be a Good Squid

Once up on a time I wanted to be a writer when I grew up.  It was my dream to earn money writing wonderful novels that would all be best sellers.

As I grew older I wrote less and less.  Then less and even less.  As the real world chipped away at my dreams of being a published author, I knew that I would probably never earn money writing.

Part of the problem is that I like to write fiction.  And fiction is HARD to break into.  There are plenty of writing opportunities if you want to write about the newest taxes, or what the worlds thinnest celebrity didn't have for breakfast.  Not so many opportunities are there for people who want to write about vampires (the kind that don't sparkle).

It became VERY obvious to me that what I needed to do was learn how to flex that seldom used non-fiction writing muscle.

I hate it!  But..oh well.  lol

Meanwhile, enter Squidoo.

http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/Nonersays

I've been a member of the site for some time, but never did much with it.  On Squidoo you build "lenses" on things.  Pretty much anything.  It can be about how to rebuild a car engine, or your top 10 favorite movies.

In theory you will earn money from ad revenue, and even more if someone shops from your lens.

In reality it has taken me 4 years to earn $0.30.

I don't blame Squidoo though.  In fact, several people seem to make a bit of profit from it every month.  Those people have hundreds of lenses (I have 12) and the add content on a regular basis.  (I barely even log in).

So, I've started thinking that a good way to get myself to write some non-fiction would be to build a few lenses.

Lenses on what?  I have no idea on earth.  But I'm sure I can find something.  Somewhere.  Maybe.

I'm challenging myself to create at least 1 new lens OR edit 1 existed old lens a week.  To keep NEW material and hopefully draw a little more attention, and maybe even some income.

----

Today I linked a couple of my lenses on Marsha's Spot Squidoo Lens Hop.  If you're a lens master you should add a couple too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...