Monday, March 25, 2013

55 Book Related Questions

  1. Favorite childhood book?
    This one is a little bit of a toughie.  I loved the entire series of Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine.  Or at least all of them I read before I quit getting them all.  When I was VERY little I used to love the Dick and Jane reader books.  I used to read those to my dad.  But there was one book called "Ghost Cat" by Beverly Butler that I remember reading a few hundred times.  As well as "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the looking Glass"  I read all three of those until they fell apart.
  2. What are you reading right now?
    Just started reading something called "Big Girl Small" by Rachel DeWoskin.  Its about a teenaged dwarf girl who chooses to go to an arts academy.  Apparently something bad happens because of it, but I've not gotten that far yet.
  3. What books do you have on request at the library?
    Nothing at the moment.  I don't put things on hold too often.  I use trips to the library like treasure hunts.  I scour the shelves until a title catches my eye, then if the back cover sounds good I'll pick it.

  4. Bad book habit?
    Turning the corners of the book to mark my place, for sure.  I think some people call this "Dog earing."  I also break the spine of ALL of my paperbacks, which I know some people hate.  I will read while I eat, ending up with crumbs and stains on some of my books (depending on what I'm reading) and I read in the tub, which means a lot of my books, specially paperbacks, have "stains" where my wet hands were holding the cover.
  5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
    "Big Girl Small" by Rachel DeWoskin
    "Finding Alice" by Melody Carlson
    "The Different Girl" by Gordon Dahlquist
    "One Dog Night (An Andy Carpenter Novel)" by David Rosenfelt
    "Gone" by Mo Hayder
    "Dogs Rule!" by Daniel Kirk (for me to read to my son)
  6. Do you have an e-reader?
    I do.  My husband bought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas the year it came out.
  7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
    Since I got my Kindle I've been reading 2 books at once.  I'll read one paper one, and one kindle one at the same time.
  8. Do you have a blog where you post about books? If so, have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
    I had a book blog once up on a time, but hardly kept up with it.  I'm a voracious reader, but I kept forgetting to write about the books I was reading.  Now I write about them on my personal blog instead of trying to keep a separate blog for books.  It hasn't really changed my reading habits though.  I still read too much, and always forget to write about the books afterward.
  9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far)?
    So far this year it would have to be "The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares" by Joyce Carol Oates.  It was a collection of short stories, and after I managed to force myself to read the title story, I didn't even attempt the others.  The plot of the story was good, but the way it was written was almost painful to read.
  10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
    I guess that would have to be "The Different Girl" by Gordon Dahlquist.  I sat down and read it in about 2 hours.  And didn't want to stop until I had finished.
  11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
    Not very often.  Usually when the voice of my father in my head tells me "You're morbid.  You need to read something different."  He said that to me in person one time because all I ever read was horror novels.  He then convinced me to read "Clan of the Cave Bear" and I went on to read most of that series.
  12. What is your reading comfort zone?
    Horror.  Stephen King.  Dean Koontz.  I like monsters and violence.  I'll settle for a good murder mystery.  I also like coming of age type stories, and novels like "She's Come Undone" where your protagonist is not entirely sane.
  13. Can you read on the bus or any other moving vehicles?
    Not any more.  When I was younger I would ride with my dad to the store, and buy a Goosebumps book, then read it on the way home.  We lived way out, so it wasn't unusual for me to be almost finished with it before we got back to the house.  Now, however, if I try to read at all in a moving vehicle, I get terrible motion sickness.  Although sometimes, if its dark, I can get away with reading my Kindle without feeling sick.  But never when the sun's up for some reason.
  14. Favorite place to read?
    I know this isn't very good for the book, but my favorite place to read is in the tub.  Is the only "me" time I have.
  15. What is your policy on book lending?
    I never lend my books, unless its a book I don't care about.  I've lent books to many of my friends in the past, and very few of them ever made it back to me.  I was devastated by the loss of an book series I loved, and never lent books again afterward. 
  16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
    I do.  I'm a horrible, horrible book page bender.
  17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
    I don't.  I blame my school.  It was drilled in us to never, ever, ever write in our books, and as a result I've never been able to write in a book I'm reading.  If I like a passage I take out my journal and copy it over into my journal, but never write in the book.

  18. Not even with text books?
    Specially not text books!  I never went to college, and went to a public school so none of the textbooks were really "mine." and we were told often to not write in the textbooks so they would still be serviceable for the next year's students.
  19. What is your favourite language to read in?
    English.  Its the only language I know.
  20. What makes you love a book?
    It has to have a good story, with characters I care about.  If it has one but not the other I might finish reading it but not really enjoy it.  If it has neither then I wont even finish reading it.
  21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
    If I reach the end of the book, and wish there were a sequel for me to read, that is when I will say to someone else, "Hey, you should read this book."
  22. Favorite genre?
    Horror/Thriller
  23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?
    Classic Literature.  I feel like I should read more "smart" books, but just can't make myself do it.

  24. Favourite biography?
    The only biography I've ever read was "On Writing" which is Stephen King's autobiography.
  25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
    I have not.
  26. Favourite cookbook?
    I'm a horrible cook.  I only own one cookbook and its one my MIL gave me.  Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book which was published in.....1976
  27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
    Nothing I've read so far this year has been even slightly inspirational.
  28. Favorite reading snack?
    White Cheddar popcorn.  It goes back to my childhood, reading Goosebumps books on a Saturday while eating a bag of white cheddar popcorn and drinking fruit punch.
  29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
    Harry Potter!  Because of all the hype around these books I refused to even give them a chance.  I think the 3rd or 4th one had just come out, and I was babysitting and picked up her copy of Sorcerer's Stone because I was bored.  Meanwhile, I loved it and became a fan who now owns all of them, of course.
  30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
    I don't' know if I've ever seen what a critic had to say about a book.  I dont' usually read any kind of review about a book.  If its one I want to read, I read it and form my own opinions without being colored by the so called "professionals."
  31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
    I've done it before.  I'll do it again.  A bad book should be badly reviewed.  I once reviewed an older horror novel on my blog, and the author himself ended up leaving a comment being all whiny about how it was his first book.  I told him that didn't change that fact that his sporting goods store turned into a hardware store just as soon as his characters needed a shovel.  He blamed the editors, of course, but I think I'll still hold that one up to writer error.  lol
  32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
    I suppose I would have to say French.  Maybe reading some of the classics in their own language would make me more likely to read them.
  33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
    Guess it depends on your definition of intimidating.  Content wise, I don't read intimidating books.  I only read for enjoyment.  Now, size wise I'd  have to say Stephen King's "Under the Dome."  That thing is so huge I have to sit at a table to read it because its too big for me to hold long comfortably.

  34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
    The Bible.  I'm never going to read it all, so I'll probably never try.

  35. Favorite Poet?
    I don't read much poetry.  My favorite poem is one called "Not Waving, But Drowning" so I guess I'll say my faorite poet is Stevie Smith even though I don't know any of her other poems.
  36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
    5 or 6

  37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?
    A few times a year.  It is usually because I got over ambitious and picked up more books than I had time to read in a 3 week period.  More often than returning them unread I'll just renew them until I can get them read.

  38. Favorite fictional character?
    Einstein, the super smart golden retreiver from Dean Koontz's "Watchers."
  39. Favourite fictional villain?
    Probably Stephen King's Randall Flagg, who has show up in countless of his novels to terrorize different people at different places and times.
  40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
    I don't go on vacation.  The closest thing I get to a vacation is having 2 days off of work in a row, and I have my whole book shelf at home to choose from.

  41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
    I can't think of any time that I've not been reading something.  Probably a 12 hour shift at work would be the longest time I've gone without reading, but even then I usually carry a book to work in my purse to read on my lunch break.
  42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
    Just one?  I'll say Dracula.  I've tried many times to read that blasted novel, but I can never finish it.  No matter how hard I try.
  43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
    Not much.  Sudden loud noises maybe.  I can read over music, and television, and the nagging of a 3 year old.  I even learned how to read while someone was talking to me by reading on my breaks at work.  I guess the easiest way to distract me when I'm reading is to put something between my eyes and the book.
  44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
    Probably "The Mist."  Up until the end it was so very close to the actual Stephen King novella that I was in awe of it all.
  45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
    Hands down, the movie "Vampires" by John Carpenter.  It was based loosely (very, very, very loosely) on a novel called "Vampire$" by John Steakley which is hands down my favorite vampire book EVER.  When I first realized that movie was going to be based on that book I was ESTATIC.  Then I actually saw the movie and I was like, "What in the name of god is THIS?"  Pretty much the only thing the same between the novel and the movie was the characters names.  Even their relationships with each other were not right. 

    So I'm STILL waiting to see a movie adaptation of the best vampire novel ever, but that will proably never happen now because apparently vampires are no longer evil, they are all "misunderstood" creatures who fall in love with teenaged girls, and some of them even sparkle in the sun.
  46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
    Maybe $25, and that would have been over 4 years ago.  We have $0 in our budget for buying things for enjoyment.
  47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
    The fist thing I do is read the cover blurb about the book.  If it takes place in a time other than modern day I'll skim through a few pages just to see what the language in the book is like.  If its hard to read (by which I mean the flow of the words, not that I don't understand the words) then I'll probably not pick it up.  Thats the only time I really skim the book.  I usually go by what the book jacket says.

  48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
    If the flow of the book is just impossible.  Mostly recently I was reading a book called "The Corn Maiden" and I just COULD NOT get into the story because of the way it was written.  It was choppy and jumpy and made me want to pull my hair out.  It was a short story collection.  I muddled my way though the first story, then put the book away.
  49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
    Sort of.  My Stephen King novels take up one whole shelf of their own, but they are not in any real order other than hardbacks together and paperbacks together.  The only execption is the Dark Tower series which are all together even though some are hardback and some are paperback.  My other books I mostly try to keep grouped together by author, but not in any kind of order.  They are not alphabetical or anything. 
  50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
    It depends on the book.  Usually I only buy books that I KNOW I'm going to keep an re-read.  Books by my favorite authors.  Most of what I read comes from the library so I have to give them back.  Sometimes I'll be gifted a book that I don't care much for, and might pass it on.  Or I'll make a trip  to a used book store.  Once in a rare while I'll cull down my book collection and make a donation to the library or the humane society thrift store.
  51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
    I dont think anyone could force me to read any of the Twilight books.  Ever.
  52. Name a book that made you angry.
    Most recently would be "What Comes After" by Steve Watkins.  I'm sick of stories where some poor person is forced to move from the north to the south, and then ever southern character is portrayed as ignorant, uneducated, hateful, racist, abusive etc, etc.  Since I live in the south I'm tired of that stereotype.  I wanted to scream and shake the writer saying, "I don't know a single person who acts like the characters in your town.  NOT EVEN ONE!
  53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
    Probably "Clan of the Cave Bear" which I read because my dad asked me to.  He thought all of the horror novels I read were making me morbid.  I ended up reading most of that series as well, though I don't remember much about the books now.

  54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
    Dracula.  I love vampires (the old fashioned killing kind, not the new sparkly variety) and Dracula is like THE vampire, but I just cannot read that novel, try as I might.
  55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
    All of it.  I only read for pleasure.  I don't' read what I jokingly call "smart books."  I read for the sheer enjoyment of reading, must like most people watch movies. 
5 Books I think everyone should read: (List 5 books titles and their authors)

This is difficult, because I read for pleasure and I know that pleasure reading is so different from person to person.  A book I adore other peole might hate.  But, I'll list some I've read and re-read until they fell apart

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass  by Lewis Carroll
All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
The Stand by Stephen King
Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...