Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Being a Mommy: I Got That

Although I missed the initial picture and debate on Life with Levi's Facebook, I read the blog entry, "I'm a Crappy Mom" and I thought....holy crap, I'm a crappy mom too!

If you think about it, if you compare any mothers parenting style to other mother's parenting styles then every mother every where is a bad mom...by someone's definition.

I mean, just look at this kid!  Isn't it obvious that I SUCK as a mom.






Why am I a bad mom?

  • I don't make Parker eat his vegetables if he doesn't want to.
  • I've been known to let him have a cookie for breakfast.
  • I will put a movie in to "babysit" him if I have something I need to do.
  • I will threaten him with a nap or worse...a spanking... to make him listen to me.
  • I had him circumcised when he was born.
  • I gave up on breastfeeding and gave him formula! 
  • I get all the vaccinations, despite the horror stories.  (Except for the flu shots, I don't feel he needs those.)
  • I work outside of the home, and some days only get to see him for a few hours.
  • Sometimes I don't know when the last time Parker had a bath was, and have to give him the sniff test.
  • I let him go out in public in dirty clothes!
  • Sometimes I forget to wash his face after he eat chocolate so he's going around with a Joker-esque smile.
  • I let him play with BUGS!
  • He is almost 3 and I still let him drink from a sippy cup.
But, wanna know why I'm a good mom?

  •  I am here.  I have not run away from him and left him alone and motherless.
  •  I have not abused my son.
  • I have not left him unattended in the bathtub to drown.  
  • I have not "forgotten" he was in a car and left him to bake.
  • I don't drag him around shopping to a million stores a day while he sits in the cart and begs to go home and play.
  • I don't ignore him so I can play on my phone.  When I'm with my son I'm WITH MY SON, not some digital toy.
  • Parker is healthy.
  • He is loved, he is hugged, he is kissed.
  • Parker is fed when he is hungry and given a drink every time he's thirsty.
  • He is diciplined when he needs to be. 
  • He knows respect, will say please and thank you.
  • I take him to the park where he can run and play and scream out loud and be a little boy.
If I think longer on it I can probably think of more to add to BOTH lists.

The long and short of it is that Moms are different.  Parenting styles are different.  But as long as your child is not harmed, physically or mentally, then you're doing JUST FINE at being a mom.  (The same thing applies to dads)

So keep up the good work, and I will too!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! Jumped over here from life with Levi :) I have a 3yo too. Sounds like they'd be a matched set! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I read yours too, and it does seem as if we have much in common with our toddlers.

      Delete
  2. I laughed out loud when I got to playing with bugs. Levi ate at least 3 bugs at daycare last week. And I'm sure he'll eat some more this week. Toddlers are quick, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker has never tried to eat them....yet. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or lter though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, great post. Some kids eat bugs, no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think of some of the things I put in my mouth, and my boy is rather tame by comparison. lol

      Delete
  4. I just look at the bugs as extra protein that I don't have to feed my 3 year old Daughter at Dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker hasn't actually tried to eat any yet, but it will probably not even phase me when it happens.

      Delete
  5. wait...I'm supposed to bathe these kids...??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on good authority that people do expect you to clean the child occasionally. I don't understand why though...he's usually dirty again within moments of getting out of the tub. lol

      Delete
  6. :) I'm really loving this series of posts. My children are older than many of the participants' children, so my perspective is different. Yet, reading this posts takes me right back to when my girls were small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popping over from Life With Levi...
    I feel like I could have written this about my 3 year old daughter.
    Mr. Parker is a little darling! You can clearly tell how bad of a mom you are *winky face here!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I'm reading this, my kids are playing on the computer... it's a marvelous babysitter. You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I have a 6 year old and the bug fascination is still here. Thankfully he doesn't eat them though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bugs versus dog food. Take your pick. LOL. These are all great and I'm just stopping by to say hello as a part of the Life With Levi list! :) And, I have let my daughter wear the same shirt/outfit 3 days in a row because she refused to take it off for a bath or bed until the evening of the third day. I think we all have those days. My DD is 2.5

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHA you guys are making me laugh. I am such a germ freak I do not thinking eating a bug would make me the nice mommie I strive to be every day. I enjoy these post so much. When I first started reading reviews and then got into the normal blog post from the bloggers lives themselves I really thought wow I am a horrible mom. I mean the only thing I do to save the world is cloth diaper and that is more because it looks cute and I was tired of running out to buy diapers. And I know the UPS man is thanking me for my switch every day. (3 kids in diapers meant amazon orders every week for diapers and wipes). I just love that you guys are putting the bad and good out there. Since becoming a mom I have been so isolated and I really do not know what other mothers are doing and I feel like I am just not stacking up most days. Which is crazy because my kids are loved every second of the day and they know it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...