If you think about it, if you compare any mothers parenting style to other mother's parenting styles then every mother every where is a bad mom...by someone's definition.
I mean, just look at this kid! Isn't it obvious that I SUCK as a mom.
Why am I a bad mom?
- I don't make Parker eat his vegetables if he doesn't want to.
- I've been known to let him have a cookie for breakfast.
- I will put a movie in to "babysit" him if I have something I need to do.
- I will threaten him with a nap or worse...a spanking... to make him listen to me.
- I had him circumcised when he was born.
- I gave up on breastfeeding and gave him formula!
- I get all the vaccinations, despite the horror stories. (Except for the flu shots, I don't feel he needs those.)
- I work outside of the home, and some days only get to see him for a few hours.
- Sometimes I don't know when the last time Parker had a bath was, and have to give him the sniff test.
- I let him go out in public in dirty clothes!
- Sometimes I forget to wash his face after he eat chocolate so he's going around with a Joker-esque smile.
- I let him play with BUGS!
- He is almost 3 and I still let him drink from a sippy cup.
- I am here. I have not run away from him and left him alone and motherless.
- I have not abused my son.
- I have not left him unattended in the bathtub to drown.
- I have not "forgotten" he was in a car and left him to bake.
- I don't drag him around shopping to a million stores a day while he sits in the cart and begs to go home and play.
- I don't ignore him so I can play on my phone. When I'm with my son I'm WITH MY SON, not some digital toy.
- Parker is healthy.
- He is loved, he is hugged, he is kissed.
- Parker is fed when he is hungry and given a drink every time he's thirsty.
- He is diciplined when he needs to be.
- He knows respect, will say please and thank you.
- I take him to the park where he can run and play and scream out loud and be a little boy.
The long and short of it is that Moms are different. Parenting styles are different. But as long as your child is not harmed, physically or mentally, then you're doing JUST FINE at being a mom. (The same thing applies to dads)
So keep up the good work, and I will too!