Wednesday, August 22, 2012

DIY: Make Your Own Mod Podge

 Almost all crafters are familiar with Mod Podge, the amazing glue that is also a (non-water proof) sealer.  It has been around since the 60s, and while it once only had the choice of gloss or matte, it now comes in a wide variety of styles, including outdoor, antiquing and glitter.

Mod Podge is a GREAT product.  I want everyone to know that I love it and I've been using it for years.

However, it is also a somewhat pricey product.

Now, its not nearly as pricy as gel mediums, but at 5 to 6 bucks for a 4 oz bottle, and with me using TONS of the stuff in my art journals, it quickly starts chipping away at my non-existant art budget.

So, I went looking for a less costly alternative that I could slather onto my art journal pages as thickly as I wanted, and feel no remorse about.  So....off I went to Pinterest, to look for a DIY mod-podge recipie, and was not disappointed.  Apparanly I was not alone in looking for a mod-podge alternative.

You will notice, I keep saying alternative, NOT replacement.  I still fully intent to use Mod Podge on anything that I'm going to make to sell in my etsy shop, because it is a specalized product to do what it does.  This faul-podge is not specalized.

Now, in the end I did have to tweak the recipie to fit my needs, because the one they gave made the Faux-Podge TOO watery, much much thinner than regular Mod Podge.  Instead of using a 50/50 mix I used a 2:1 ratio of glue to water.

For my Faux-podge I used nothing but this:


2 4oz bottles of washable white glue (a total of 8oz)
1 clean and dry container
4oz of water (half as much water as glue)

HOW TO
1. Empty contents of glue bottles into container.
2.  Pour water into empty glue containers and slosh around.
3.  Empty water into container on top of glue.
4.  Put lid on container and shake until glue and water are mixed

And I made a video to help!



See, that was super simple, right?

Now, you can certainly use more or less glue if you would like.  In fact, if you are making this for a classroom or camp environment I would totally recommend using more to make more all at once.

The container I used was a 38 oz container I got from the dollar tree.  I liked it because it has a wide mouth I can just dip my brush right into the container and don't have to worry about squirting or pouring it out of a bottle.  In fact, the mouth is so wide I can stick my whole hand in there and get a little on my finger if I wanted to (which I have totally done already).

You dont HAVE to buy a container.  If you have any empty jars at home, as long as they are clean and dry and have a lid, you can mix your glue in it.  Even empty water or condiment bottles would work just fine, as long as you washed and dried them well first.

Now, the Pros and Cons of my Faux-podge

PROS
  • Its cheap.  Made 16 oz for $2 (would have been less if I had upcycled a container instead of buying one)
  • It is thinner than regular mod podge and flows/spreads very easily.
  • More forgiving, it was easier to lift and replace glue covered pieces before the glue dried.
CONS
  •  Causes thin papers to wrinkle more. Solvable by being more studios about rubbing out wrinkles, air bubbles.
  • Could possibly yellow over time.  (only time will tell, and using an acid free glue would prevent this)

 Some people have said that Faux-podge doesn't hold as well.  So far I've not had anything come unglued or peel up.  That might be because I chose to use half as much water than the online recipes called for.

Here is a page I did with Regular Mod Podge



Here is my Faux Podged page.  (The right side border is missing because of a crooked scan job)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to visit my blog.

I hope that if you enjoyed what you've seen here today that you will take a moment to leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of my readers.